- The largest collection of estrildid finch mouth markings worldwide containing 111 unique photos, many never published before.
- First book with all 145 species, described and showcased in photos taken in the wild.
- Close to 300 participating photographers from 40 countries around the world.
- Distribution maps of all species and subspecies.
- First book with photos of the Alpine Mannikin Lonchura monticola.
- Complete listing of parasitic whydahs and indigobirds vs. hosting estrildid finches.
- Description and photos of a new estrildid finch species.
Nigel Collar of BirdLife International, Gabriel Jamie and Claire Spottiswoode of Cambridge University and University of Cape Town, wrote the comprehensive foreword to the book, as quoted:
“One of the pleasures of paging through this fantastic volume is to see the full force of this avian diversity on show.”
“Less obvious to most field observers, however, but beautifully showcased in this book, is the astonishing diversity in estrildid nestlings.”
“This magnificent book provides an authoritative summary of the state of our knowledge, on which we hope the author, his many colleagues and contributing new estrildid fans inspired by this book, will continue to build.”
Kristof Zyskowski of Yale University, Peabody Museum of Natural History:
“I just wanted to say that I am very impressed with your book project and I am honoured to have my photos included. I think the book will be a fantastic resource with all the photos you managed to gather, especially those of nestling mouth markings. I also love the distribution maps showing subspecies ranges.”